Food for Thought re: the A Game.
I think that this year's edition of the A-game will be the best yet. The reason being - we have managed to add some pretty good talent as the years have gone by, and generally speaking, we really have a great group of guys that participate. Exclusivity really works. I hope each and every participant is truly greatful for the blessing and privilege of being invited to the A game. I know I am. If anyone is not greatful, I think they should re-consider that the inevitable fact is that the years any given A-teamer can play in this competitive and fun basketball game are limited. The limitation comes in two flavors. First, you never know when you might get cut; and the A-game evolves without you. (This cruel reality keeps me practicing every week and gives me an occasional nightmare.) Second, you never know when the man upstairs will finally require that you hang up the sneakers. For example, I can probably count with my fingers the amount of good basketball years I have left in my A-game career. Thats scary. Just because I am not a professional basketball player does not mean I cannot empathize with what it feels like to retire (or be forced to retire). That will be a very hard day to endure.
This week in the A-game.
Last night I was up until 3'oclock thinking about this weeks episode of the A game, with some side thoughts of the B game that took place the day before.
(1) I really feel that going to the 2's and 3's makes the game much more realistic. Whoever thought of that rule change was a frickin genious. I think we should continue.
(2) Although I am a complete supporter of the A-game and most its participants, I have to say that there needs to be more caution taken with the "traveling" calls. I was the victim of a couple of questionable traveling calls myself. (And for the record, I did not retaliate with any "carrying" calls on my fellow A-teamers on the opposing team that I would have been completely justified in calling). It seems that the traveling issue arises when I am accused of making some "awkward" movement. However, what the accuser rarely considers is the foul that preceeds the "awkward" move. Furthermore, an "awkward" move should never be considered an outright violation of some basketball rule. If it were so, Manu Ginoboli would not be able to play in any game. I just plea for consistency and a fair judgment, and most importantly, I request that the "traveling" call is not abused by any A-teamer as a ploy to acquire an easy turnover on a technicality (when your team is down) in lieu of getting a real church basketball defensive stop. I feel that I need to mention that at any given moment the A-game could turn into a bunch of referees that are experts in calling "carries" and "traveling". I would like to avoid that if possible for the good of the A-game.
(3) It is always funny how the A-teamers get really serious when it comes down to (or close to) match point.
A quick example: a certain 40 year old A-teamer, who will remain un-named due to the lack of a current nickname, was basically quiet all night running the point and nocking down the occassional 3 pointer. All of that changed when this A-teamer could smell victory on the last game of the night. With victory in sight, he relentlessly took the ball to the hole, and despite being temporarily delayed by a defensive swipe, he was able to sink in the game winning lay-up. Intensity filled and red faced, this A-teamer ended the night for everyone. Its that kind of spirit that brings A-teamers back next week for more.
(4) Worthy newcomers are always welcome. Another un-named A-teamer joined us this week for the first time. His game was great, and he has inspired all of us to shut him down next week. If you dominate one week at the A-game, you will definetly have a target on your back the next week.
SEE YOU NEXT WEEK AT THE A-GAME
No comments:
Post a Comment