the A game

CHURCH HOOPS AT ITS PRIDEFUL FINEST

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Poor Excuses


Before you start reading, please keep in mind that throughout this entire post you may wonder why I continually ramble. The reason is that I am blogging right after lunch and downing way too many calories at McDonalds. So basically this is a post-lunch post, which means I'm yawning right before I blog, which is exactly like Apollo Ohno yawning right before he skates for a gold medal in Calgary....huge pressure!

Ok, ok, I know. Enough already! I've been gone for two weeks and my adoring fans (I think there are a few of you even though nobody has the balls to comment - props to our one dude who did in fact comment recently). Alas, duty calls when you are old, have children, have more children and new baby is stuck in NICU for the last week and will probably be another couple days. Baby will be fine, no worries!

Anyway, I've thought a lot about what I should write in this next post and I'm honestly running out of ideas. Church hoops is really just a boring game with old people who are washed up. Even if the A game is comprised of former C-list basketball stars like a certain BYU coach's nephew. This nephew maintains he was not on the team because the coach is his uncle, though sometimes we beg to differ. I mean, I swear BYU plays at least some sort of defense, unlike this certain A gamer.

My post today is on the despicable (I'm usually a good speller but I admit I had to look up "despicable" - I'll bet you didn't know it was spelled with an E in the beginning either) act of not coming to the A game because "family is in town." Another poor excuse for missing the week's action is because "I don't want to abandon my family (or wife)." Actually, to be honest, the only GOOD excuse I've heard for turning down an invite to the A game came from a friend that is a cop and had worked a homicide that day where a baby was axed to death. And this was pushing it....

It still amazes me that people don't respect the A game for what it is. Every time I talk about the A game my wife rolls her eyes. She thinks I worry too much about who is showing up, how many people will show up, who is a ball-hog, and whether or not the single adults will be hogging the gym line dancing again. She is in danger of abandonment herself for such disrespect. Just kidding, baby! Can you make sure my shorts are washed when I get home for my pilates workout though? Thanks! And don't forget I like my jello green, with some carrots in it. Love you sugar!

Anywho, do you think Apollo Ohno will ever shave that thing on his chin? Why is it red/brown? Isn't his hair black? I have to admit that Ohno is really the only Olympics I've watched so far. All the other stuff is boring, except for Curling, which I absolutely love! It's like chess with all the strategy involved - and as a bonus people actually (kind-a-sort-a) exercise.

Back to the task at hand. My question is this: wouldn't having your family or in-laws in town be the perfect excuse to attend the A game? I mean, if my in-laws are coming into town I'm already devising plans on how I have a golf outing with a client that will go late into Friday evening, or Saturday I might have to go to the office for a while, etc. So I absolutely cannot understand how when I send out the weekly "who is in for tonight" text, I sometimes get the response, "I can't, family in town"; or "I have to pick up my father in law at the airport"; or "I've had to work late this week and I need to spend time with my wife." Ummm, isn't that what your wife is for - to pick up HER parents at the airport?

Also, we DON'T even start playing until 9pm! It isn't like we are going from 7pm to midnight. Shoot, most of us can't even play hard for an hour straight. And by the time the first game gets going it isn't until around 9:30 anyway! I guarantee your wife will be watching some show on tv at 9:30 anyway, your kids will be in bed, and anything to be discussed with your in-laws that is of relevance (such as "hey, how are you?") will be discussed when they arrive at around 5 for dinner. Hence, there is no reason for you to not make it to the A game. Essentially, there is no reason for family to take precedence over the A game. Additionally, I'm pretty sure you won't be doing anything unscheduled like they do on certain shows past 9pm on a Thursday, either. This is why that Lights show airs on Friday Night.

So props to 40-Band and Prefontaine who BROUGHT their dad to watch us play the A game when he was in town. He sat on the side and smiled the entire night. I mean, we are pretty entertaining. He even said so the next day at golf - my in-laws must have been in town then too. There are actually some dunks every now and again, lots of drive and kicks (followed by a swish), lots of laughs and free popcorn (but only if you bring it, pop it, and eat it while you watch). Cheering is allowed as well, but we haven't had any of that yet - at least not at the A game, and with this last sentence I have my next post already planned out - bonus for you all!

Peace out,

Psycho T

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy Psycho T describe the joy in his life that is the A game. Although when your job consists of planning your next client golf outing you need to have something to look forward to for an evening activity. Cause with a resent baby we all know one activity he will be missing out on for the next 6 to 8 weeks. Happy to see that Psycho T brought back the ball punt.
    Lil Ricky

    ReplyDelete
  2. He'll be missing out on Something? What, line dancing? You can't line dance with a kid? Green Jello shots?
    What if you happened to have really cool inlaws? The kinds who's game isnt quite washed up... which translates to deep pockets? I don't have those, I'm just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What if you happened to have really cool inlaws?" - Isn't that a lot like believing in the tooth fairy?

    ReplyDelete